Tammy Levent’s Bio
Tammy Levent: Business Strategist, Travel Expert, Author and Speaker
My experience with building businesses began before I could legally vote. At the age of 16, I drove to New York, found a room to rent off of a Laundromat’s wall and worked as a secretary at a wholesale appliance store. After one year of learning the business, I called the owner of the shipping company we used to ship our appliances and laid out reasons for why we should combine our two businesses into one full-service company. That is how, at the age of 17, I became a founding partner of 7 Islands Shipping, the top company in the United States for export shipping to the Mediterranean throughout the 1980’s and ‘90s. It was my first Strategic Partnership and formed my lifelong philosophy of successful entrepreneurship.
After Seven Islands Shipping was sold, my husband and I moved back to Florida and started a successful jewelry store. In 1994, our lives changed when two armed robbers stole more than 95 percent of the inventory, forcing us to close. Solely responsible for the financial support of my family, I took a job as a telemarketer selling timeshare packages and quickly became the top salesperson in the company. One year later, as I was training new employees in sales calls, my grandmother and my two small children were involved in a fatal car accident that left her dead and my children in critical condition. I resigned so I could care for them while they were in the ICU.
It was a nurse in that ICU who posed the question that changed the course of my future.
She asked, “If it had nothing to do with money, what would you do?”
I said “I would travel the world.”
With a family to feed, no assets, and a deficit of $180 thousand dollars, I leveraged strategic partnerships to build Elite Travel, a travel management company that has done more than $75 million in traveled business. Winning numerous awards since opening in 1996, Elite Travel has become one of the fastest growing, most trusted travel agencies in the nation, specializing in corporate incentive travel, luxury travel, destination weddings and honeymoons.
In August of 2013, Elite Travel’s commitment to extraordinary customer service was tested when 89 year old Dodge Melkonian broke his hip on board a cruise ship in the Black Sea. Abandoned with his wife at a Turkish hospital, where no one spoke English, the Melkonians called their Elite Travel agent for help. That call sent us into a flurry of activity, arranging transport to a better-equipped hospital, sourcing a local tour guide to act as translator for them, contacting the media and calling public officials from the Governor of Florida to Senator Bill Nelson to help the Melkonians receive the best possible care, and get their bills paid for by the cruise line that had so spectacularly failed them. I consider this once of our greatest achievements.
The Travel Agent’s Agent
After having built Elite Travel in the wake of 9/11, during the collapse of the airlines, and in the face of natural disasters, the recession, and the onslaught of online booking engines, I know better than most how to create a successful business in an adverse climate. I also know that the travel agent industry needs help to restore our dignity and revive the art of travel. To win our clients back, we need to change the way we think of travel agents and redefine the business.
In 2013, I partnered with several top entrepreneurs, including Kevin Harrington (Shark Tank and As Seen on TV), to develop The Travel Agent’s Success Kit ™ to help struggling travel agencies successfully adapt to this new age of travel. Now travel agents across the globe have access to my videos, webinars, books, and my personal mentorship, so they can learn the business strategies that will allow them to be more than travel agents – they’ll become entrepreneurs.
Tammy Levent, Speaker and Business Consultant: Has WHIP, Will Travel
As the economy sank further and further into recession, I realized I knew how to work around it to build and expand any business, not just travel agencies. As a speaker, I’ve conducted dozens of workshops, WHIPshops™, and seminars on how to increase sales, generate leads, raise bottom lines, market and brand, and strategically partner for large corporations, small businesses, entrepreneur associations, and the Tampa Bay Business Journal, and have opened for national speakers like Les Brown.
When I’m not reaching large audiences with my message of Strategic Partnerships, I help entrepreneurs and business owners start and grow their businesses as a private consultant. Using my personal rolodex along with one-on-one coaching, I’ve created new businesses and brands with multimillionaire clientele within 6 months.
Tammy Levent’s Achievements:
- 2014 Winner Travel Weekly Magellan Awards Honoring the Best in Travel
- 2014 Mentor BizWomen Mentoring Monday
- 2013 to Present Member of The Travel Institute’s Professional Educators Program
- 2013 Debuting The Travel Agent’s Success Kit™, partnering with Kevin Harrington and GoGo Worldwide Vacations
- 2013 Featured in the ebook The Little Giant: Small Business is the New Big
- 2012 Author of the #1 National Best Selling book Women Who Mean Business
- 2012 Named Ambassador/Strategic Partner for Business Women Connect
- 2012 Winner of the Editors choice awards for Women Who Mean Business
- 2011 Launch of the WHIP It Out Show (Women Have Infinite Power In Themselves) including WHIPshops™ and Seminars
- 2011 Featured in The Crave Book
- Advisory board for the Sustainable Entrepreneurship & Innovation Alliance at the University of South Florida
- 2011 Inducted and honoree in the World’s Who’s Who
- 2010 Made it to a Million Award – National E Women Network
- 2011 Speaker & Sponsor, 1st Tampa Bay’s Women’s Conference
- 2011 Women Extraordinaire Award
- NSA – National Speakers Association member
- Member: CLIA, IATAN, Tahiti Tiare Certified agency, Certified Destination Wedding Specialists
- Gourmet Inclusive Vacation Consultant for El Dorado Spa Resorts & Hotels as well as Azul Hotels by Karisma Elite Award Winner “Top 10 Selling Agency for El Dorado Royal”
- Official Travel Sponsor, Tampa PWG show sponsors, Elite Events in Atlanta
- Contributing Writer & Guest Expert: The Perfect Wedding Guide, Bride’s Magazine, Modern Bride, Florida Bride, For the Bride, The Robb Report, Conde Nast Traveler, Weddzilla.com, Tampa Style, Panache Vue, Pulse, Lady Angler, Travel Agent, PeterGreenberg.com, Orlando Style, Travel Weekly Spotlights, Tampa Bay Parenting, Applause, Choice Lifestyle
- Platinum Preferred Agency Couples Resorts 14 years in a row
- Master Agent with AM Resorts
- Travel Impressions/American Express Vacations Global Award worldwide Best of the Best Agency 16 years straight
- Best of the Best Sandals Agency
- 2005, 2006, 2007 Fast 50 top growing companies in Tampa Bay (Only business to win 3 years in a row)
- 2011 National Diversity Council -Finalist Glass Ceiling Award
- 2002, 2008 & 2012 Business Woman of the Year awards
- 2008 Finalist TBBJ Ultimate CEO of the Year
- NBC Travel Show -Destination Wedding & Honeymoon Seminar presented by Tammy Levent
- Featured on NBC’s Hollywood’s Extra!
- 2001 to present Top 25 Women Owned Business, in the Tampa Bay Business Journal Book of Lists
Best of the Best 2007/2006
Steve Gorga, President Travel Impressions Tammy Levent, President Elite Travel Best of the Best TI Global Award winner 2007 / 2006
Best of the Best 2008
Steve Gorga, President Travel Impressions Tammy Levent, President Elite Travel Best of the Best TI Global Award winner 2008
Best of the Best 2009
Steve Gorga, President Travel Impressions Tammy Levent, President Elite Travel Best of the Best TI Global Award winner 2009
Tammy Levent Shares her Birthday to Benefit Joshua House
Once again, that business diva, author, and philanthropist, Tammy Levent, hosted her birthday bash to benefit those less fortunate than herself. In a week full of media appearances, corporate responsibilities, family crisis, and even her father’s birthday, Tammy and her closest friends managed to pull off another successful event. Held at the beautiful Fisker, Jaguar, Spyker showroom on July 21st, Tammy hosted 300 friends and supporters to an evening filled with a Greek themed fashion show, exotic belly dancers, a VIP harem, silent and live auctions, and yummy eats from Tampa Bay’s famous Acropolis. All to celebrate her birthday, yet she never had a moment to party. She worked from dawn to midnight to make it all happen. In true Tammy Levent style, she asked her friend, Dr. Cesar Lara, to have his most successful weight loss clients model Greek inspired fashions from Lending LUXURY. These ladies and gentleman were over the top proud to strut their stuff to a crowd of cheering guests. From the red carpet greeting with her signature Tammytini to the room filled with decadent chocolate dessert, all the way to the cigar bar, Tammy’s mission was to raise money for her favorite charity, Joshua House. You might ask what inspired Tammy Levent? When her daughter, Katie, was 16 years old, she volunteered and sang for the children at Joshua House. As a single mother, struggling to raise her own children, Tammy watched in amazement as the Joshua House children’s faces lit with joy at her daughter’s live performance. She never forgot the day that she witnessed her daughter make such an impact on abused, abandoned, and neglected children. She vowed that when her business was successful she would make every effort to give back to Joshua House too. Now in its fourth year, Tammy uses her own personal birthday celebration to raise funds for her mission; to make a difference in the lives of the children at Joshua House. She accepts no presents, only gifts of sponsorship and support towards her cause. She even has her travel agency provide fabulous trips for the auction and throughout the year she gives 2% to Joshua House when people book their travel through Elite Travel and refer to Joshua House at their booking. Although the party is long over, Tammy isn’t done yet; she is even offering more vacation packages for auction through September 1st. With three trips available, and all proceeds going towards Friends of Joshua House Foundation, it is a win-win opportunity. Call our office for details on how to bid for all inclusive vacations to Greece, Secrets Wild Orchid and Hard Rock Punta Cana. Sincerely, DeDe Grundel